Sometimes I dream of a world where being in the music biz has a reasonable chance of being seen as legit as say, an architect or lawyer or nurse or janitor. It remains a dream.
But what if. . .
WHAT IF the club owners:
- screened the talent and refused to let just any no talent guy or band play?
- didn't tolerate an amateur attitude about arriving and setting up on time, but rewarded the professionalism with reasonable pay?
- had a vision that they would present the best they could find and present it in a professional manner ensuring no fan would be disappointed because they could trust the venue to offer the best?
- had a plan for promoting the music they presented and financially backed it?
- took themselves seriously and had a plan for developing a career?
- wouldn't play for free?
- worked together to build a network of mentors?
- actively engaged in developing the local music scene through support and cooperation with each other?
- attended shows because they cared about music instead of going someplace to just kill a boring evening?
- supported bands through engaged attendance, actively listening to the music?
- respected bands enough to purchase their music instead of bootlegging and passing the music on to others?
- were willing to take some time to develop their tastes in music instead of mindlessly consuming it?
But. . . I'm just dreaming. : )